Thursday, October 1, 2015

My Skin, is

By: Shanice Green

My skin, is
too dark to be seen, but not too dark- not to be missed
 
only considered a good thing when-
 
it is doing a “good thing” like-
 
going to school or driving the speed limit-
 
to a job I have held longer than the last six months


My skin, my skin, is a sore thumb-
sticks out on paper from the Jessicas-
 
the Carys-
 
the Wendys-
 
long before I step into the room
 
their eyeballs etching confusion deep into my skin

My skin- my skin
like, are you in the right place?
 
did you make the right turn?
 
the Cosmetology Department is at the other campus.
 
 My skin- my skin- my skin- my skin-
is what separates me from you
 
it is the reason I avoid certain streets- subconsciously-
 
praying to my God that the cop car following behind me-
 
for the last seven blocks-
 
is a man or woman who shares, my skin
 
My skin, my skin, is ugly!
 
or at least that is what I would think when my mother would try to buy me-
 
a black Barbie-
 
that was supposed to be-
 
the same as the white one-
 
except with fewer accessories-
 
most of which-
 
was “sold separately” – which meant
 
that she would have to spend twice as much money to equal what the white doll had-
 
for the low, low price of $19.95
 
but the sign on the shelf read – “Rollback Special”
 
so in essence, it would have cost $10 more?
 
too much math- she’d just settle and buy  me the white one

 My skin- my skin- my skin
is confused!
 
all of these white celebrities in the news
 
The Angelina Jolies
 
The Kim Kardashians, and her sister-
 
and her sister’s sister-
 
and her sister’s
 
sister’s sister-
 
and her sister’s
 
sister’s sister-
 
and their mother-
 
and their father-
 
all paying good money to be “bronzed” or “blackenized”-
 
as people of my skin would put it-
 
adopting and birthing black babies is probably the trendiest way of saying-
 
I am not a racist
 
My skin- my skin-
my skin, my skin- my skin-
 
is tired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment